2007年12月27日

A Soldier's Silent Night






A Soldier's Silent Night 軍人的平安夜


´Twas the night before Christmas, He lived all alone.
這是聖誕節前夜,他一人獨處。
In the one bathroom house made of plaster and stone.
睡在用泥灰與石頭蓋成的單人臥房中。

I have come down the chimney with presents to give,
我從煙囪爬下來要分送禮物,
And to see just who in this dwelling did live
也想瞧瞧到底是誰住在這裡。
I looked all around, a strange sight to see,
我左顧右盼,看到一幅奇怪的景象,
No tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.
沒有亮晶晶的彩帶,沒有禮物,甚至沒有一棵聖誕樹,
No stocking on the mantle, just boots filled with sand,
沒有掛在壁爐架上的長襪,只有裝滿沙子的馬靴,
on the wall hung pictures of far distant lands.
牆上掛著來自遙遠故鄉的照片,
With medals and badges, awards of every kinds,
還有各式各樣、琳瑯滿目的徽章、配章與獎章。

a sobering thought came alive in my mind.
我的心中浮現一個嚴肅的思想,
This house was different, it was dark, it was dreary,
不同的房屋,陰沉而且幽暗。
I have found the home of a soldier, I could see that most clearly.
我看到一個士兵的臥房,歷歷浮現在我眼前,
The soldier lay sleeping, silent, alone,
這位士兵安靜孤獨的沉睡,
Curled up on the floor in this one bedroom home.
蜷曲沉睡在這單人臥房的地板上,
His face was so gentle, the room in such disorder,
他的面龐是何等溫柔,房間卻是如此雜亂,
Not at all how I pictured a United States soldier.
一點也不像我想像中美國士兵的模樣,
Was this the hero of whom I’d just read?
這是我剛剛唸到的那位英雄嗎?
Curled up on a poncho, the floor for a bed?
蜷曲睡在斗篷中,用地板作為床舖。

Then I realized the other families that I saw this night,
我忽然想起了今夜我所拜訪的許多其他家庭,
Owed their lives to the soldiers who were willing to fight.
他們的生命完全倚賴在這群願意冒險奮戰的士兵,
In the morning around the world, the children would play,
明天早上全世界的孩童將快樂嬉戲,
and grownups would celebrate a bright Christmas day.
大人們也會歡慶一個快樂的聖誕節,
But they all enjoyed freedom each month of the year,
他們經年累月的享受自由平安,
Because of the soldiers, like the one lying here.
都是靠著這一群士兵,就像躺在這裡的這一位,
I couldn’t help but wonder how many lay alone,
我禁不住會想起到底有多少位士兵是如此孤獨躺臥,
In a cold Christmas eve in a land far from home.
在那寒冷的聖誕夜,在那遠離家園的遙遠之地,
The very thought brought a tear to my eye,
這個想法叫我的眼睛忍不住掉下淚珠,
I dropped to my knees, I started to cry.
我屈膝跪下開始低聲啜泣,
The soldier awakened and I heard his rough voice,
這位士兵醒來,我聽到他那沙啞的聲音:
“Santa don’t cry, this life is my choice;
「聖誕老公公,請不要哭泣,這是我所選擇的人生,
I fight for freedom, and I don’t ask for more,
我為自由奮戰,我也別無所奢求,
My life is my God, my country, my corps.”
我將我的生命奉獻給予我的上帝,我的國家,我的部隊。」

The soldier rolled over and drifted to his sleep,
這位士兵翻個身,又飄入他的夢鄉。
But I couldn’t control it nice, and continued to weep.
但是我再也忍不住了,我又繼續啜泣,
I kept watching for hours, so silent and still
我注目凝視歷時良久,周遭一片安靜沈寂,
As both of us shivered from the cold night’s chill.
我們兩個人都因這寒夜的酷冷而顫慄,
I didn’t want to leave on here on that cold, dark, night,
在那寒冷幽暗的夜晚,我不忍走離開
This guardian of honor so willing to fight.
這位願意為自由奮戰的光榮戰士。
Then the solider rolled over, with a voice soft and pure,
然後這位士兵又翻過身來,以柔和純淨的聲音
Whispered, “Carry on Santa, it’s Christmas day, all is secure.”
細語道:「聖誕老公公,該出發了,這是聖誕節,一切都很安全。」

One look at my watch, and I knew he was right.
我看看我的手錶,我知道他是對的,
“Merry Christmas friend, may God bless you this night.”
「我的朋友,聖誕快樂,願上帝今夜祝福您。」

0 意見: